TUTORIAL : Advices to buy your first Panda 4x4 (Classic)

Engine, increases, electronic parts, bodyworks, tyres, plastic etc ....

TUTORIAL : Advices to buy your first Panda 4x4 (Classic)

Messaggioda kestrel4x4 » martedì 26 settembre 2017, 23:04

All you need to know about buying your first Panda 4x4 !!!

This tutorial refers to Pandas produced for the Italian market !!

Outside Italy some features may be different, for example engines, years of production, and so on.

With this guide I hope to help all people that are interested in importing spare parts & Pandas from Italy.

1) Which Panda to buy ?? - Description of models and engines.

Panda 4x4 (MK I) :
The first series is immediately recognized by the next series for "THE RIBS" on the lower part of the car and the doors with the small deflector glass /quarter light.

1.jpg

Model : 141
Nickname on the forum : "Nonnina" ("Grandma")
Engine Code : A112B1054
965 cc - 48 HP -
Rods and rockers engine, derived from the one of Autobianchi A112.
Produced since June 1983 until December 1985.

The main specific components, compared to the normal Panda (2x4),
are the gearbox with joint and output for the shaft, the transmission shaft
and the rear axle with leaf springs system.
These components remained largely unchanged until 2003.

Panda 4x4 (MK II - "Panda Supernova" ) :

2.jpg

Model : 141A
Nickname on the forum : "OLD"
Produced since 1986 until 2003.

Engine : FIRE, in different versions and displacements.

Since 1986 to 1992 :
FIRE 1.000 , with Carburetor
999 cc - 50 HP

Since 1993 to 2000 :
FIRE 1.100 S.P.I. (Euro 1 - Euro2 - depeding on year)
1.108 cc - 54 HP

2 different versions :
- Single Injector and Bosch distributor (many persons had problems with this engine configuration)
- Single Injector and 2 Magneti Marelli Ignition Coils (reliable and strong)

Since 2001 to 2003 :
FIRE 1.100 M.P.I. (Euro 3)
1.108 cc - 54 HP
(recognized by the presence of the fuel filler flap)

Anti-pollution regulations :

Gasoline engines produced before 1993 are Euro 0.
All petrol vehicles registered after 1 January 1993 are Euro 1.
All petrol vehicles registered after 1 January 1997 are Euro 2.
All petrol vehicles registered after 1 January 2001 are Euro 3.

2) What should I check ??? - Description of checks before purchase : rust, transmission, etc

CHECKS TO BE CARRIED OUT IN CASE YOU PURCHASE AN OLD PANDA 4X4 (MK I - MK II).

CAR BODYWORK : to check that there is no rust in the car body, especially in the car floor, in the underpass and wheel arches, they are the most affected by rust and even the hardest to be repaired. Rust in the doors and in the hood is easy to remove, just replace the piece affected by rust. Other weaknesses of the car body are the front uprights (the attach point of front shock absorbers), on some models they tend to crack if they are used for heavy duty Off Road, and fixing them is a bit difficult.

ENGINE : regardless of different engines, displacements and mileage, the Panda 4x4 engines need little maintenance and the breaks or problems are almost absent. FIRE engines have the only weakness in the head gasket that often begins to fail, very often because the cooling system and especially the thermostatic valve stops, and engine overheating leads to this failure. Replacing the head gasket in the FIRE engine is cheap and very simple.
Another flaw, but not a problem, is the consumption of oil, especially if the engine has an high mileage, but this does not lead to power cuts or breaks, just keep the oil level checked.

GEAR : the gear problems are usually gearbox bearings, due to shorter Panda 4x4 gears ratio that spins the secondary tree at higher speeds than other Pandas, this problem is found at high mileage and it is recognized with a noisy gearbox sound (rolling noise that increases when the speed increases).
Another defect of the gear usually is the third gear synchronizer, it leads to a difficult third gear engagement with any "grindings". Synchronizer and bearings do not have a high cost, the high cost of replacing a gear is due often to the workforce, in fact disassembling and reassembling the change takes a long time.

TRANSMISSION : It hasn't defects, but only usually problems with moving parts, joints and supports, this usually comes with noise and vibration of the transmission shaft. Cruises and joints are replaced with a little expense, while the supports are a bit expensive, but 150,000-200,000 km make them quiet.
Other wearable parts are the wheel bearings, especially if they do several woads, they do not have a perfect watertightness and water infiltration causes them to rust and ruin and become very noisy (rolling noise that increases with speed and when approaching the curves). Replacement is simple, but spare parts are quite expensive.

Written and translated by Kestrel4x4.

In behalf of :
Panda 4x4 Off Road Club Italia

Non hai i permessi necessari per visualizzare i file allegati in questo messaggio.
Panda 4x4 1987 EVO - 1.000 FIRE - "Off Road Special"
Immagine
kestrel4x4
Pandista Neopatentato

Torna a Tech Area